Clay and Sally Clarkson started Whole Heart Ministries in 1994 as an evangelical Christian home and parenting ministry. Before then, they served in full-time ministry since 1975, both as single adults and as a married couple, in overseas missions, discipleship ministries, and church ministry. Whole Heart Ministries embodies the convictions and messages they have cultivated and taught as a couple, and as individual authors and speakers. Below is an overview of the ministry. For the narrative personal history, go to the Our Story page.
Whole Heart Ministries is a 501(c)(3) federally tax-exempt religious organization, chartered as a nonprofit in Colorado, with offices in Monument, CO (Colorado Springs area). We are Christ-centered, conservative, and evangelical in our doctrinal beliefs and ministry practices.
The mission of Whole Heart Ministries is “to encourage, equip, and enable Christian parents to raise wholehearted children for Christ.” Whole Heart Ministries helps Christian parents and their children worldwide through ministries of speaking, teaching, training, writing, and publishing that focus on the biblical and practical aspects of home nurture, home discipleship, and home education. Our ultimate objective is to come alongside Christian parents to help them prepare their children to be kingdom builders for Christ in their own generation.
- Whole Heart Press
- Whole Heart Events
- Whole Heart Online
- Whole Heart Media
- Sally Clarkson Ministry — Encouraging Christian women and mothers in their faith.
- Mom Heart Ministry — Equipping Christian mothers to minister to other mothers.
- Lifegiving Home Project — Promoting the building and beautifying of the home.
- WholeHearted Learning — Promoting discipleship-based Christian home education.
- Storyformed Project — Promoting the imagination, books, and reading for children.
- Family Faith Project — Promoting a biblical model of family faith formation.
- Clay Clarkson — Executive Director (full-time, 1994-present)
- Sally Clarkson — Mom Heart Ministry Director (full-time, 1994-present)
- Josh West - Admin/Tech Assistant (full-time, 2016-present)
Board of Directors
- Clay Clarkson, President (Monument, CO)
- Sally Clarkson, Vice President (Monument, CO)
- Gary Custer, Secretary/Treasurer (Raleigh, NC)
- Lynn Custer, Member (Raleigh, NC)
Advisory Board (informal)
- Ron and Sandra Maddox (Newport Beach, CA)
- Mark and Madlin Mangrum (Dallas, TX)
- Danny and Shelley Rose (Monument, CO)
- Jon and Cherie Werner (Austin, TX)
STATEMENT OF FAITH
Whole Heart Ministries subscribes to the Statement of Faith of the National Association of Evangelicals (NAE):
- We believe the Bible to be the inspired, the only infallible, authoritative Word of God.
- We believe that there is one God, eternally existent in three persons: Father, Son and Holy Spirit.
- We believe in the deity of our Lord Jesus Christ, in His virgin birth, in His sinless life, in His miracles, in His vicarious and atoning death through His shed blood, in His bodily resurrection, in His ascension to the right hand of the Father, and in His personal return in power and glory.
- We believe that for the salvation of lost and sinful people, regeneration by the Holy Spirit is absolutely essential.
- We believe in the present ministry of the Holy Spirit by whose indwelling the Christian is enabled to live a godly life.
- We believe in the resurrection of both the saved and the lost; they that are saved unto the resurrection of life and they that are lost unto the resurrection of damnation.
- We believe in the spiritual unity of believers in our Lord Jesus Christ.
- 1988-1991 — CA: Began homeschooling Sarah. Began speaking on homeschooling and motherhood. Seeds of future ministry first sprouted here. Started support group in Nashville, TN that would later be called Whole Heart Academy.
- 1992 — TN: First, there was Family Faith Ministries and a small church workshop.
- 1993 — TN/TX: Our first giant step of faith, selling our home and moving to the country in Central Texas to wait on God for direction.
- 1994 — TX: Whole Heart Ministries is birthed with our first WholeHearted Child Home Education Workshop with 20 people in our home. Educating the WholeHearted Child (WH Press) is released in September.
- 1995 — TX: Released our first "Whole Heart Catalog" (seven more to follow). Began to take the WholeHearted Child Workshop on the road to other states. Published only four quarterly issues of "The WholeHearted Mother Journal," but it gave birth to the conference and a targeted ministry to mothers.
- 1996 — TX: First version (the "classic" flip-charts style) of Our 24 Family Ways (WH Press) released. Educating the WholeHearted Child, 2nd Edition (WH Press) released. Published the WholeHearted Mother Journal (4 quarterly issues). First WholeHearted Mother Workshop draws 120 mothers to our small Fort Worth, TX church.
- 1997 — TX: A WholeHearted Child Seminar (with David and Shirley Quine, and Dean and Karen Andreola) draws 500 homeschooling families to a church in Dallas.
- 1998 — TX: Sally wrote and released the first edition of Seasons of a Mother’s Heart (WH Press), an immediate hit with moms. Held the first WholeHearted Mother Conference at the Green Oaks Inn in Fort Worth, selling out by word of mouth with attendance of 650 mothers.
- 1999 — TX/CO: Moved the WholeHearted Mother Conference to The Harvey Hotel at DFW Airport, with 950 mothers in attendance (guest: Jean Fleming). Held our first sponsored conference for mothers in IN. Moved to Colorado that spring. Spoke in Hungary at the SHARE Conference (assisting missionaries with educational choices).
- 2000 — CO: In addition to the TX event, we had our first out-of-state WholeHearted Mother Conference in CA (guest: Linda Dillow). Spoke in US and Canada.
- 2001 — CO: Signed book contracts with WaterBrook Press/Random House. Conferences in TX, CA, CO, NC. Launched first Whole Heart Online website.
- 2002 — CO/TN: Journeys of Faithfulness (WH Press) released, written by Sarah at 16. Just David and The Gold Thread released (first WH Press Public Domain reprints). WH Mother Conferences in TX, KY. Sold the CO house, moved to TN. Last issue of "Whole Heart Catalog" released.
- 2003 — TN: WH Mother Conference in TX. Sally spoke to Congressional wives and mothers, and staff women in the Capitol in DC. Mission of Motherhood and Heartfelt Discipline (WaterBrook Press) released.
- 2004 — TN/CO: WH Mother Conferences in CA, TX (2), IN. Returned to Colorado. Launched email newsletters. Ministry of Motherhood (WaterBrook Press) released.
- 2005 — CO: Announced we would no longer be doing WholeHearted Mother Conferences after the CA and TX events. Planned to move out of hotel events to church events, but that did not work out as anticipated.
- 2006 — CO: Took a sabbatical year from conferences to rest and to work on new books. Sally and the girls minister in Australia and New Zealand. Sally speaks 39 times in three weeks. Sally keynote for Arlington, TX Home School Book Fair.
- 2007 — CO: Revived the WholeHearted Mother Conferences in CO, GA, CA, and TX. Sally speaks in UAE, Macedonia, and Hungary for three weeks. The Mom Walk (Harvest House) released.
- 2008 — CO: WH Mother Conferences in CO, CA, and TX. New version of Seasons of a Mother's Heart (WH Press) released.
- 2009 — CO: Final WholeHearted Mother Conferences in CA, NC (x2), and TX. Sally, with the girls, speaks in six cities in China for nearly three weeks for release of Mission of Motherhood translation in Chinese. Seasons of a Mother's Heart, 2nd Edition (Apologia) released.
- 2010 — CO: First official Mom Heart Conferences in CO, CA, TX, and NC. Our 24 Family Ways 2010 (WH Press), Read for the Heart (Apologia), and Dancing with My Father (WaterBrook Press) released. First three day Mom Heart Leader Intensive Training (Intensive) for 52 women in our home in Monument, CO to train moms for ministry.
- 2011 — CO: Mom Heart Conferences in CO, CA, TX, and NC. Educating the WholeHearted Child, 3rd Edition (Apologia) releases. Second Mom Heart Intensive in August in Monument, CO for 25 women, and in September in Nashville, TN for 15 women (20th anniversary of Whole Heart Academy). Sally keynoted in October for the Relevant blogging conference in PA (Sarah Mae).
- 2012 — CO: Mom Heart Conferences in CO, CA, and TX. Clay and Sally were Keynote speakers at the Arlington, TX Home School Book Fair. Sally spoke for the Allume Social Conference (Sarah Mae) in PA. Second editions of Heartfelt Discipline and The Mom Walk (WH Press) released. New version of Journeys of Faithfulness (Apologia) released.
- 2013 — CO: Mom Heart Conferences in CO, CA, TX, and NC. Clay and Sally were featured speakers for the TTD Conventions in SC and TN. Sally, Sarah, and Joel attended the installation of C.S. Lewis in the Poets Corner of Westminster Cathedral in England. Nathan released Wisdom Chasers. Sally and Sarah Mae's book Desperate (Thomas Nelson) released. 10 Gifts of Wisdom released.
- 2014 — CO: Mom Heart Conferences in CO, CA, and TX. New websites for WholeHeart.org and MomHeart.com. Sally moved her blog to SallyClarkson.com (retired ITakeJoy.com). Twentieth anniversary of Educating the WholeHearted Child. Sally and Angela Perritt releasedYou Are Loved, which made it to the Top 10 of all books on Amazon. Our 24 Family Ways (Third Edition) and Heartfelt Discipline (Third Edition) released.
- 2015 — CO: Mom Heart Conferences in CO, CA, and TX. Release of Own Your Life with Tyndale, which got to 9 on Amazon ranking.
- 2016 — CO: Mom Heart Conferences in CO, CA, and TX— the twentieth and final year (sold out events). Filmed the Texas event and created a CD album of the event. New website for SallyClarkson.com on Squarespace. Release of The Lifegiving Home and The Lifegiving Home Experience. Hired Josh West, our first ever full-time admin-tech assistant. Created a new event, Renew My Heart Getaway, for Christian mothers. Moved WholeHeart.org and Storyformed.com from WordPress to Squarespace.
- And ... eight years of Whole Heart Catalogs (1994-2002); six years of Whole Heart Letters (1994-200); dozens more WholeHearted Child Workshops (1994-2004); speaking for homeschooling conventions (1992-present); international speaking trips (Hungary, Australia/NZ, China, Poland, UAE, Macedonia, UK, and others); writing a regular column for Practical Homeschooling Magazine (1998-2001, Issues #25-45); and much more. And the story is yet to be written for the next ten years, and beyond.